Thursday, January 24, 2008

Musings on Economics

Wow. I would have thought Google would have shut this down.

Seeing that they haven't, I feel an irresistible urge to pontificate. Or at least ramble on for a while.

I've recently been given to speculate on economic issues. You see, I got a job. Aside from that, in the course of my duties in this job, I assist people with placing orders over the phone for over-priced, unnecessary stuff.

My conclusions are as follows: one, there are too many people in the United States with too much money and not enough sense; two, I need a better job.

Take Brookstone, for example. In their Christmas catalogue, there was for sale - at around forty dollars - a lighted dog leash. That's right a lighted dog leash. It sold out.

Or take Wolferman's. They sell English muffins, crumpets, scones and sundry pastries. Over Christmas, it was not unusual for people to call in and order three hundred dollars worth of this stuff. That's three hundred dollars before shipping costs were added on. Even now I manage to take at least five or six hundred dollars worth of orders a day.

Or - my personal favorite - Dr. Creflo Dollar. Forty or fifty dollars for the week's messages on DVD. And people not only pay it, they're happy to pay it.

If just half of these people did without this pointless stuff...well, I'd be out of a job. But aside from that. If they donated that money instead to the secular charity of their choice, this country would be a lot better off.

1 comment:

Alison Gibson said...

I used to work in a shopping mall, and I had exactly this problem as well. Day after day I would see all these people walking around with bags and bags full of...who knows? Stuff! Stuff they apparently couldn't do without for another day. Even though I knew they weren't the same people every day (well, I'm sure some of them were, but you know...)it still drove me a tad dippy.
Nice blog by the way!