Sunday, October 14, 2007

On Faith

Tonight I find myself contemplating the vagaries of human nature as evidenced by Pastafarianism. For those of you unfamiliar with this concept (and too lazy to click the link), this is the belief that the world was created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. This was all started as a reaction to Creationism (or Intelligent Design, or whatever else you want to call it).

I found it quite amusing and quite an appropriate response. But then I thought further, which is usually my first mistake. And I realized that even a belief in evolutionary theory is still just a belief. We hide that by saying there is scientific evidence to back up the theory, but come on. How many of us have done all the necessary research to know how to work a carbon-dating machine? And of those few, how many have tested samples that can corroborate evolutionary theory?

It's still faith, it's just been switched from faith in the divine to faith in an institution.

And then I thought still further. I'm not bothered by taking things on faith - some things, to a certain extent. But from a cosmological point of view I feel more comfortable placing my faith in science than in God. Don't get me wrong, I'm as spiritual a person as the next guy and probably more so than most. It's just that science is a slow, plodding beast that is more inclined to skepticism than belief. Its (largely underfunded) ministers tend to be likewise slow and plodding, but inexorable. It is the job of science to answer questions and the questions engendered by those answers and so on ad infinitum. Which makes me a whole lot more comfortable than saying "God did it."

6 comments:

hansu_87 said...

cool!!

http://nepsinct.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Ha, lol the spaghetti monster, It was pretty funny. By the way awesome floaty guy, really like your lay out, but anywho. Ummm here is the definition of "Faith" from www.dictionary.com Faith=. belief that is not based on proof.
Well if you have a problem with carbon dating, which can be wrong, but we don't put faith in carbon dating we put trust. Much how we TRUST a calculator to give us the right answer, we trust it because time and time again it gives us reliable results. If we had a calculator that just gave us arbritary answers to equations and we assumed that the answer was right, that would be faith. Anywho, look into the genetic mutation dating, it's pretty cool, too much for me to go into depth, but genetics has only strengthened evolution fact, lol. lik i said awesome blog.
www.thegrumpyskeptic.blogspot.com

OhTheDrama said...

cool post. Of course faith cannot be scientifically proven. And many faiths tend to frown apon science....Whereas...I, tend to stay safe by seeing evoloution as being part of the creative design....But that's just me. I recently watched the documentary titled "Jesus Camp." It was shocking to me that many devout christian parents actually teach their children to ignore science all together. (it takes alot to shock me)

Morthax said...

It's kind of my point. Science can be proven logically and proven empirically. The problem with logic is that eventually you run into paradoxes, which shoot logic right in the butt. The problem with empiricism is that sometimes you can misunderstand what your results tell you and draw mistaken conclusions. Just look at Phlogiston chemistry or the darksucker theory...

Science has more going for it than religion as far as verifiability, but you're still going to take some things on faith simply because you won't understand the proofs on the level required for faith to become trust.

Moooooog35 said...

Wow. We were created from pasta.

That explains my constant need for carbs. Thank you for clearing that up.

jack said...

God is mean and terrible to us sometimes. But it doesn't mean I love Him any less. It just means my understanding of Him is limited.

When Mohamed Ali got punched out in the ring, he had to fight his way back from "Never Never Land" and stand up before the count of ten. He was able to do this because of the firm foundation he had already built and because of his previous practise. His "faith" was built on the foundation. It enabled him to get back in the ring even though the unknown confronted him in every bout.

Jack roberts

Promoter